09-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #1050
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu979 View Post
Hi everyone - newbie here - I just purchased an 07 328xi about a month ago and have been lurking around the forum here for a while. What a great resource this is. Sorry if this has been discussed in the previous 46 pages of posts - but here goes:

It sounds like many of you have had this ticking issue very early and may have gotten progressively worse. My car has about 40k and has not developed this problem (knock on wood). Is there anyone that has seen this problem develop for the first time at 40K? 50K? later? Or can I assume I'm "out of the woods" on this one?

If this problem develops after warranty is out, is BMW offering recourse? What would the head replacement cost out of pocket?

Thanks for all the help!
IIRC the ticking which we're talking about doesn't get progressively worse. You either have it or you don't. It usually affects the E90 330/325s because of a design issue regarding the cylinder head. Basically it prevents the hydraulic lifters from staying filled with air bubble free oil. The oil drains out and when you start up the car you get a tap. We're not talking a barely audible tick, but a TAP, almost like valve tap. BMW initially said it won't affect longevity of the engine which may be true, but because it became such widespread and it's really annoying to hear on a $40k+ new car, BMW has been doing the head replacement after you go through their process (2-3 bleed procedures then request for replacement which is 99% of the time approved).

Early model 328's may be affected, but I don't know (I have the 330). I don't know if current 328's have it. Trust me, if you have it, you'll hear it loud and clear. As for the cost? Well IIRC it's about $3k from what my SA said when I had mine done, but that's dealer shop rates. Indy might be 20-30% cheaper.

IMO..at 40k miles if you haven't heard it you're in the clear (maybe work was already done).
Appreciate 0