marine24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Which transmission? Apparently, it makes a LOT of difference in the price. Shop is Bavarian Professionals over in Berkeley, who have maintained our cars ever since we moved here from DC. Note the price includes two drain/refills, to circulate the otherwise inaccessible fluid from the torque converter. They do not recommend the sometimes-seen "power dump" of fluid where a hose is attached to the drain, the engine started and put in gear, and the trans pumps out the fluid, because for a while, the transmission is running severely low on fluid. Some people / shops do it that way, though.

From what I understand, "flushing" a ZF transmission does not work well and is not recommended by anyone, including ZF.
Unless they have drastically changed the way the torque converter works, you don't drain the fluid from it, just the transmission (you have to take the torque converter off to drain it seperately. Granted the only torque converters I've dealt with were on older GM trucks though). At the 50k mark you should be fine with just draining the fluid and replacing the filter; the fluid isn't that badly used to need the extra step of draining it twice. I did my e90 at 60k right before I sold it to my friend, and he hasn't had a single problem with it.
Appreciate 0