View Single Post
      03-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
u170who
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330I

Hey guys, thought I'd share my recent experience with this problem. My car wouldn't start one day and charging it and jump starting it wouldn't do anything. After a long ordeal and getting it towed back, I learned a few things. The way to get the car into neutral when all electronics fail is to pull up hard on the boot of the shifter and remove it. Underneath you will find a small lever that locks the shifter in place. Toggle it and move the shifter into neutral. About the ibs sensor: it regulates charging so you don't wear out your alternator prematurely and saves gas. Downside is that if it fails, you will not be able to do start your car. The correct temp solution is to unplug it just like the op had. Lastly, if you need to replace the ibs sensor, you might need to change 3 cables. I have a 2006 330I. The old sensor was two pieces. There were problems with the design, so they changed it to a 3 piece cable. Of course, the 3 piece cost more than the 2 piece. You have to buy all three separately and cost about$300 from the dealer. I also bought a new battery which cost $279.
Appreciate 0