11-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #3258
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Not a lot. What little CA is left, any lens/body error, the slight barrel and pincushion still left.

Dave
Interesting.

I noticed LR5 now has CA correction, not sure if it works as well as the one in Photoshop.

With lens/body error, what's that exactly? My understanding was usually there's micro-adjustment in the camera for specific lenses, but it has to do with calibrating autofocus, which the TS-E 17 doesn't have.

The barrel distortion and pincushion can be useful, but again, very little with this lens. Especially compared to the 24-105L, which has horrible, visibly noticeable curvature of straight horizontal lines before correction. I notice it in my seascapes where the horizon is curved!

Seriously, the TS-E 17 is as close to perfect as a lens can get. I may be biased, but I really love this lens, even if mastering tilt is taking me a long time compared to shift.

Part of me wants a 14L for the wider non-fisheye capability, but the tilt-shift is so useful that I fear it may be too limited, except the big sky type of shots you posted earlier. Anything with buildings, architecture, or any noticeable verticals is hands down TS-E 17 territory.
Appreciate 0