View Single Post
      07-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Cool Carbon S/T and R/T brake pads

If anyone has been looking for a reasonable street/track there is finally an answer.

I did some research on Cool Carbon and they been around for long time. The old compound was discontinued some time ago. The newest compound has been in long term development and just released this year and for 335i just this week.

The ST compound has some impressive number as you can see in the attached PDF file which is a very linear temperature vs coefficient of friction response. The pad will can maintain a bulk temperature of 1150 F with no loss of friction and can run higher temperature as well without any consequence other than drop in coefficient of friction. When I say bulk temperature this is not peak so it does mean heat soaked.

I asked there technical guy so detailed question that we not in their documentation. The cold performance is very impressive. The coefficient of friction at 32 F is 0.38-0.40 mu and comparing this to the stock pads which are close to 0.30-0.34 mu. I asked this question specifically because it was impossible to get any resolution from there data sheet. The S/T pads are stronger than stock when cold which is not something I have every seen in such a high temperature friction material. The average coefficient of friction for street driving is a working range of 0.44-0.46 mu. On the track the pads will maintain a very steady coefficient of friction 0.50-0.55 mu with linear respsonse and good release.

I was not able to get much from the about material other than the ST use Brass and R/T pads use Titanium with various fiber materials. I asked if they were using nano material technologies but I got happy face with no comment for a reply. I suspect they are using nano material technology as give them ability to bind material together in matrix which normal can not be created. Unique material properties are usually the outcome from nano materials with out getting into more details. This would include the ability to reject heat quickly and very high strengths.

The R/T full race pads will be available this fall but it only recommend with R compound tires.

I order two full sets and will see how they work and I will post a review then.

Last edited by Orb; 03-10-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0