black 335xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 i

Undercarriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Your vehicle’s undercarriage; it’s what you don't see that silently awaits underneath your cars. Removing sprayed brine solution to protect your undercarriage is just as important as detailing the paint. Wheel wells, sub-frame, springs, fender well and all of the other black and gray parts underneath the body need detailing too.

Although dry salt is inert 15 – 20.oF (9 – 29.oC) is considered the lower limit for salt to melt snow and ice but once H2O, even in the form of moist air (i.e. humidity) is added the freezing point is lowered and the sprayed brine solution (pH 8.5) used on roads will have an adverse effect (the formation of rust and/or corrosion) on the vehicles paint and undercarriage. Magnesium Chloride (MgCl2) attracts moisture from the air making it more aggressive than salt because it is active even when “dry”. Magnesium Chloride is basically ‘liquid rust’. It clings to everything and it attracts moisture – and it does not wash off easily”.

After removing dirt, road grime, and etc with P21S® High Performance Total Auto Wash or Optimum™ Polymer Technologies - Power Clean- use a pressure washer

Never go underneath a car supported by the supplied jack - always use axle stands if you wish to work underneath the car. Always jack the car up at the manufacturer's recommended jacking points. Ensure the jack is in stable contact with both the jacking point (see owner's manual) and the ground.

Always work on level ground.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki- “Prepare your Vehicle for Spring / Summer” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ng-summer.html

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM
What he said. Also, Eastwood Road Salt Neutralizer- 6 0z to 1 gallon of water in a garden sprayer- spray everything under the vehicle- all suspension components, brake calipers, etc. Let it sit for 5 minutes and power wash it off. Works like a charm. Gallon lasted me two winters.

Also, lttile known fact about the power washers at the car washes is that they recirculate the used water. Good for ecological purposes, bad for cars because a lot of the recircled water contains dissolved road salt.
Appreciate 0