View Single Post
      04-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
ZF says you should change it at ~50,000 miles. I personally recommend that if you are going to change it, to do it at about 30,000 miles because anything after that and some gunk can dislodge causing bigger problems.

You won't get any help from BMW because they feel the fluid is a lifetime fill (lifetime for BMW = 100,000 miles or when it fails) and most dealers won't touch it (or will charge a lot).

I suggest to use BIMRS to find a good independent mechanic that will change the fluid and filter for you every 30,000 miles. (It's a bit overkill but it will help keep your tranny alive until 200,000) The fluid is a bit expensive, but its worth it IMO... (If this is all too much, stick with a 6MT.)

(I changed my engine oil/filter and transmission oil/filter, at 1200 for break in and plan to do the same at 30,000; if you have an xdrive, add transfer case to that list. I tried to change my rear differntial fluid but couldn't find the fill bolt.).
There is no drain bolt. The plug on the cover is the fill plug. You need to suck the fluid out then refill through the fill plug.
Appreciate 0