View Single Post
      03-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2DR

Talking The Black Box* Must Read

Worth the read...

Waiting for others computer upgrades to be delivered was getting frustrating. So, did some digging around and found out that RDsport was coming out with some form of chip tuning software gizmo.

The Black Box by RD Sport (Racing Dynamics Spa) is amazing. The piggy back system is programmable and provides the first version Sport software. The Competition version should be available shortly and they gave me the option to upgrade once it becomes available. Thanks to www.CreativeAutoworks.com down in San Diego, CA and www.AutoTalent.com in Marina Del Rey, CA. James@Creative Autoworks quickly provided me the part and Zolti@Auto Talent did careful installation and dyno on the spot. These guys are top notch!!!!!!!!!

With a name like RD Sport / Racing Dynamics, I figured nothing could go wrong as they have been tuning BMW's for quite some time and provide many quality parts and project cars throughout the years. The V12 318ti was SIICK!!! The numbers that were quoted were just slightly lower than others claims. It makes sense to provide a safe reliable HP/TQ ratings for everyday driving.

The factory turbo's are small so I would imagine boosting the hell out of those things all the time would ruin them. Seen my share of blown turbo's that had to get rebuilt. (working on finishing up the Single Turbo Supra, but that is another topic)

Let's get on with it, the unit looks like

Paid the $1500 retail for it but James@Creative arranged for free installation. Worth every single penny (not sure if I was suppose to mention that)

It took about 1 hour to install the Black Box and strap the car to the dyno. It could have been longer or shorter due to my excitement. :rocks:

The shop was amazingly clean and Sam was nice to deal with. They have a nice lounge area upstairs but I was downstairs anticipating the completion of the Black Box. The car is completely stock and has zero performance modifications.

What matters is the power the car put down. 45+hp and 40+wtq, it is shown on the points. According to the numbers provided on the sheet, it is 29whp and 37wtq. I asked them to do a couple extra runs pre and post just to make sure all the numbers were consistent. 7+7 to be exact and asked that the highest of both maps were provided. The lowest the car put down was 267whp, can't remember the torque

Here it is on the dyno sheet:

Got to the shop kind of late on Thursday so decided to hang out there till traffic died down to do some test runs. They stayed late anyways.

Since they are in Marina Del Rey and conveniently there is the 90 freeway, which is not frequently traveled as the 405, figured that would be the perfect testing ground, no real harm of endangering others. On the way to the freeway, first and second gear spin the tires with sheer ease. Once on the freeway, made sure the road was clear, the pedal instantly went to the floor and shifted from 2nd to 3rd and 4th all the way to REDLINE!!! (can't say how fast that is to try to stay out of trouble) Those that have gone that fast should know. (Hint to others is 2x++ of limit) WOWWW is all I have to say, the pull from the car was SOOOO MUCH BETTER then before. A grin from ear to ear was instantly planted on my face and everytime I put the pedal to the floor.

Next to come is the quad exhaust from RD sport. Thanks guys!!!:rocks: