09-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #193
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't forget that I'm part of a small sales group. I just realize that BMW doesn't make anything that targets me anymore. The used to, but they've shifted to targeting non enthusiasts, and the product has followed (as have increased sales, since there's more of them).

In 2002, I wanted to own every car that BMW made. Today.... I want to own every car BMW made in 2002.

Today, the F30 3 series has worse driving dynamics than the competing Lexus or Cadillac. That statement would have been so absurd in 2002 that you would have instantly lost credibility for anything else you said.
I feel the same way, especially about wanting one of every model line around '02.

But what you said today, about the F30 vs IS and ATS, well it's less about BMW and more about the competency of the competition. And if you really drive the other cars, and you BUY a car based on the whole package, the BMW is still the winner.

Me personally, I like having both old and new. I love having an E36/7 as a toy and the F30 as a competent DD. I would not want either car to try and do both duties for me.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0