Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafeniak View Post
Hi Guys -

I bought a Burger DCI (Dual Cone Intake) for my 335i last week and decided to test the intake temps for myself to determine whether the heat soak myth is true.

I thought I might share my results with you guys which may help you make a decision on whether to go for a DCI setup or not.

Here it goes -

Scenario:

i) 19-20 degree (Celsius) day
ii) Tests were performed within 30 mins of each other
iii) Car was warmed up on both (Standard intake and DCI) tests to ensure oil temp was just below 120 degrees Celsius
iv) A 15 minute drive (same route) was performed with both the standard intake and DCI to measure the driving temps (not my main focus)
v) After the 15 minute drive, I measured the intake temps while the car was stationary and idling for 2 minutes (simulating a traffic light) plotting the temps every 5 seconds
I've done a lot of temp comparison for myself and the only point I agree on with you is that DCI temps can run about 9 degrees hotter.

I think where you went astray here is performing your tests 30 minutes apart.

Remember, You are not just measuring the intakes.....but also the impact of the starting temp of the intercooler plays a significant role.

If the intercooler was already heated up from the first session it will skew the temps from that point onwards.

Oil temps are not going to factor in starting with a cold intercooler vs an already hot one.

Case in point.....I can keep my intake temps about 10 degrees cooler by not going WOT. Once I go WOT temps rise and and the intercooler saturates and then stabilizes at a higher temp while cruising afterwards.
Appreciate 0