08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
Looks awesome Rob. Great work as always!! You N55 guys are in great hands. This is about to get real interesting with this motor.
I agree. All aspects of the flange will be finished today. I have the weld els pipes due in later this week. After that we are going to making a very cool collector allowing a modular fitment concept. Should be smooth sailing from there. Most of the custom fittings should be done in the next day or two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I am ready to move quickly. Have jb4, intercooler, and ordering downpipes this week. Dont think there are many full bolt on f30 n55s who live ten minutes away from terry from bms. Let me know what we can do
Cool. Keep on board this thread. I'm always glad to hear of those who are willing to blaze this trail alongside us, but for now lets just hang back and be ready for the callout when the time comes. Just saying this to avoid PMs, phone calls, emails, etc. about those who are interested as I'd rather just gather the info about the candidates when the time comes. Does sound like you'd be a good candidate though, so definitely stay on board... and thanks again for volunteering to help this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
Tuning is going to be key for this. I can't wait to see all the different options for the n55! If the bottom end can handle it, the N55 has better head, cams, and valves than the n54!
I'd like to see BMS aid in tackling this setup and proving it out. They tend to move very fast, plus we've had a lot of customers in the past who have worked with them to kick out excellent numbers very consistently. All of the other tuners are great as well, but time will be of the essence and I'm confident they will be the most flexible in getting numbers the quickest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Limits will definitely be pushed.

I have to think that this engine cant take much more than the 550 kit without being built on the inside.

Any guess on which end will pop first, bottom or top?
I kind of agree with you. After 550hp is where I have a feeling things may get sketchy. Cast crank and cast rods are not a great combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
Its one of those things though. Did anyone expect the n54 to make 740 on a engine that has been beat with 680-700hp for thousands of miles? Sure it's forged but a lot has to do with materials and design. I bet the N55 will handle more than expected. I hope like the N54 other limitations are found before it grenades.

Haven't really looked at specs but who knows a n54 bottom end swap could be possible. 09-present have 6 bolt FW. Might be a cheap option. I wish the best for the N55 and to that badass turbo Rob brought to the forefront.
On the flip side I have a hard time believing BMW would lay down and build such a flimsy engine after the almighty N54. Time will have to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
What kind of power delay will there be with this turbo? I imagine there has to be some increase over stock.
Being that the original turbo is also twin scroll (and tiny in comparison), there will definitely be delays in spool. BUT, this unit is Ball bearing and also has an ultra light Ti Turbine wheel. This is going to make up for ALOT of lost ground over the original turbine and journal bearing turbo. As I said earlier, little twins do not matter much in the technology department... but when running a bigger single there is a lot of technology that is worth utilizing (and this unit has it all). On the 550hp kit I really expect a nearly the same spool, or close enough that there will be no real concern overall. It will be interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
The n54 does not have forged internals. This was beaten to death over and over again in this very forum.
The word is the N55 is all Cast, correct. The short block may hit a power limit pretty quickly (in contrast to the N54).
Appreciate 0