View Single Post
      08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I don't think the factors that make fiberglass bad for bumpers are in play with a hood to quite the same degree. Fiberglass is pretty much inflexible, so one can bump a fiberglass bumper and it won't flex as will rubber and unlike metal, it will more likely crack then bend/dent.

As a car hood, regardless of what material it's made from, the hood will probably need to be replaced if you hit something hard enough that the force will affect the hood. Sure, a tree branch could hit your hood in such a way to crack the fiberglass whereas it may have but dented metal and maybe even had no visible affect on CF, but then that would be an act of Nature/God. Such things aren't nearly as common as is folks hitting things with their car's bumper.

As for which one is best, the real qualifier should be "best for you." To that end, the best is the one that fits your budget and that you like the looks of.
-Unless you are racing, it won't matter which you pick.
-If you are going to install it as a DIY project, pick the one you'll find easiest to install.
-If you are concerned about your car's motor getting dirty/dusty, get one that doesn't have working vents, but rather has aesthetic vents.

Hope that helps.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0