jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Have you tried electric steering? I bet most of us would have a hard time telling th edifference between hydralic and electric. EVERYONE is going that way.
Whats "the Audi way"? I think they should.......the new 3 was an opportunity to beat up on S4 but they dropped the ball.
I'm sure automakers will eventually be able to extract great steering feel and feedback from electro-mechanical steering, but BMW sure isn't there yet. I imagine Porsche has done a better job, but I haven't driven a new Boxster so I can't say for sure. What I do know is the difference between my E92 and the F30s i've driven is quite noticeable.

As for the ATS, I stopped by the Caddy dealership and took one out a few weeks ago, it was the 2.0 with the auto tranny. I am not a fan of the exterior styling, but I understand that is subjective. To me, the interior reminded me a bit of an infiniti G37. That's not a bad thing, though it did feel somewhat less "quality" than the F30.

As for the driving experience, pushing it somewhat hard on the same twisty course that i've taken the F30 335 and S4, it felt a bit more planted than the F30, though not as much so as the S4. The car feels solid, well built, and provides pretty good steering feedback. The tail end behaves very similar to the F30...meaning it likes to come out when pushing it hard around corners, whereas the Audi just feels like its on rails. Of all three, if price was no object i'd take the S4. Next I would take the 335. The main reason is styling. Driving dynamics, to me, are close enough to be a wash.

As many others have stated, I feel like BMW did not push hard enough to make the best drivers car with the F30, instead they tried to make the best "everyman's car". At that they have succeeded. I'm sure BMW will continue to have best ever sales as they cater to the wider audience. Thats just good business practice.

I expect when the new G37 comes out it will be a very strong candidate for best drivers car in class. Still doubt the new IS will be there. For now, good job to Cadillac for making a quality drivers car. The segment is filled with a lot of great vehicles, the F30 still being one of the best.
Appreciate 0