View Single Post
      01-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
RustyBMW
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMercury View Post
Do I really need to buy a new cluster?
Are there any cheaper or easier options out there than buying and installing a "virgin" cluster?
Is there anywhere on these forums where I could find people who are more competent at coding clusters in the Central Texas area?
I found the issue with my cluster (burnt trace on the circuit board) for my temperature issue. Think long and hard about this but my options would've been (if I had to replace my cluster which I'm praying to God that I don't need to) are as follows:

Go online and buy a new/"virgin" eeprom chip that has the same model number as the one you currently have in your cluster, and send it in to a professional coder or code it yourself. You can probably find some good coders here on this forum, just PM them and tell them your situation and ask if they can code it for you. That eeprom chip contains the cars mileage and the cars VIN information. If the VIN information on there matches the VIN in the car then you won't/shouldnt be getting that tamper dot issue.

I'm just a little confused as to what the exact mileage is supposed to be on the car itself. Forget all the odometer readings and different chips and different clusters, do you know the mileage that is on the car itself?

The dealer can only code a new cluster (because it contains a new eeprom chip in it) so I'm curious to see if the dealer can code a used cluster with a new chip.

Or I guess my other option is to find someone who can properly code your car. Not some cheap mechanics who are all about making money, and not caring about their customers.
Appreciate 0