View Single Post
      08-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

I have three dogs, all adopted shelter dogs, so I definitely echo everyone else who says to adopt. A lot of good advice on this thread, but one thing I want to say is that living in an aprtment does not necessarily mean you cannot have a big dog. I got my first dog, a shar-pei mix, about 5.5 years ago while I still living in Manhattan in a studio apartment. Even when full grown at 45 lbs, he was able to live comfortably with me. I believe this was due in large part to my commitment to giving him enough exercise. 30-45 minutes walk, dog park playtime or off-leash in central park in the morning before work; 30 minute visit from a dog walker in the middle of the day while I was at work; and another 30-45 minute walk or visit to the dog park at night when I got back home. On the weekends, we would spend longer at the parks or take the occassional excursion out of the city. So if you are a relatively active person and understand the exercise and socialization requirements of dogs, then you can certainly manage a bigger dog.

At the same time, if you choose to get a smaller dog, do NOT fall into the trap of thinking that they have enough space in your home and therefore do not need as much outside time. They need just as much exercise and socialization time as a larger dog. Most small dog owners do not understand this, which is why they end up with annoying, coddled, overexcited, anti-social, yappy dogs. Even worse, these owners think this behavior is cute and endearing. Bigger dog owners can't afford to make this mistake or else they will end up with an out of control dog that can injure another dog or person. So whichever route you go, understand that you will have to give them daily long walks and opportunities to meet new people and dogs.

Appreciate 0