Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Rev matching is significantly more beneficial to your transmission than double clutсhing. There's no meaningful reason to perform double-clutching today. Note also that under normal driving (not racing on the edge of lateral grip) it is completely unnecessary to hill-and-toe to do a rev match. Rev matching can easily be done by pivoting the right foot from brake pedal to accelerator pedal, blipping it and pivoting the right foot back to brake pedal.
Rev matching will do nothing to save wear on the syncros, only the clutch disk (and only on down-shifts). The syncros still have to match the gearbox shaft speeds. Double-clutching does both - the whole point of it is to change the speed of gearbox innards so that the syncros don't have to do anything. That is the whole reason you have to do it in an unsynchronized gearbox to start with.

While I completely agree that on a modern car it is completely unnecessary, it is a nice skill to have on your driving resume. And it takes practice to maintain that skill. And done correctly, it makes for marvelously smooth progress. Of course these days so few people can drive a manual transmission car at all, never mind driving one properly.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0