View Single Post
      07-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Steptronic on high-mileage tuned 335i's

hi all,

i wanted to start a discussion on the durability of the ZF steptronic transmission on high-mileage tuned 335i. can we have a survey of how your steptronic transmissions are holding up as far as slippage and torque transfer.

the reason i ask is because my former car, 2001 330i with the steptronic transmission was very lightly modded (dinan CAI, throttle body, stage 3 ECU and exhaust), started experiencing light slippage at around 40k miles and it got progressively worse. when i traded it in at around 55k miles, the slippage was dreadfully bad, seems to be a 750 rpm "slack" between actual engine speed and where the engine speed should be. and this was on the 330i with half the power/torque of the 335i. granted the steptronic transmission on that car was known to be much more prone to failure but even still, i wanted to get a discussion started on the steptronic transmission on the 335i.

could you please chime in and include the following:
1. model year of your 335i
2. mileage
3. mods
4. driving style (how heavy your right foot is)
5. steptronic transmission condition (e.g. direct/snappy or slushy/rubbery)

i would like to keep this thread focused on the modified/tuned 335i and the steptronic transmission since the 335i has a unique auto transmission and has the ability to make much more power/torque but 328i and manual transmission 335i folks are welcome to chime in as well (just make sure you include that information).

i will kick start this thread:
1. 2008 335i
2. ~20k miles
3. V3 stage 0 doomsday
4. mostly mildly spirited driving (no hard launches, just an occasional highway run)
5. very direct and snappy (i hope it stays this way forever!)

look forward to hearing back from the rest of the bmw community.
Appreciate 0