10-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #33
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Markham is the freaking snowbelt. If you're going to work at 6:30 a.m., I'd look at getting them put in the next two weeks. If you're like me and don't head into the office until early afternoon, wait a couple of weeks longer -- and pray it doesn't snow while you're there.
One interesting observation: In the winter when I go home from work driving north from the 407 very often I don't see snow until Hwy 7, accumulation starts at Major Mac, and lawns all cover with snow when I reach Elgin Mills. I cannot do without winter tires.

I use Blizzak WS-50 for the mini van, and Dunlop M3 runflat for both BMW's. When I had the A6 I used to have Pirelli Wintersport 240. My old 91 Passat used to have Blizzak WS-50. I have not stuck once all these years.

Once I was in downtown Montreal in my Passat, looking for a parking spot. This guy in a Taurus wagon was hopelessly stuck in a parallel parking spot spinning his front wheels in two ice pits. I got out of my car, pushed him out, and took his spot without any trouble! Another time I was in the same Passat looking for a parking spot midtown Toronto and there was nothing left except this one spot on the curb side filled with icy packed snow, about a foot high on one side. I pulled in, parked the car on a 20 degree incline on this mountain of ice, climbed in and out with no trouble.

When I first moved into the new house up here we had a gravel driveway for the first winter. Instead of clearing snow after each major snow fall, I used to drive my car up and down to pack it down neatly.

A set of good winter tire is worth its weight in gold. I should have recorded those moments and made commercials for the tire companies.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels

Last edited by halB; 10-27-2007 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0