ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
^^ kind of. Here is a perfect example:

With the vehicle running and you are either stopped or driving at a low speed, you can very slightly move the steering wheel left and right and feel a little play and also hear either a ticking/clicking sound. But the wheels themselves do not move when at a stop.

You need to do it slowly back and forth to catch it, since it is such a slight bit of play.

Maybe 20mm to the left or right of play if I had to guess?

I know a lot of this was supposed to be fixed by swapping the columns out and yes it did help a lot, but the noise and play were still present. And so far (knock on wood) after the lower steering shaft replacement I still have NO play, noise or nothing in the steering wheel and it is as very tight and responsive now as it should be.

P.S. Does anyone have a link or know what they have to take off the car to swap this out? I want to know if they had to take my interior dash apart or was it done below the vehicle on a hoist without doing anything to the interior?

Thanks
Thanks for the response - with the car stationary and with the remote in the slot but with no engine running i can hear a clicking noise when turning the wheel left to right -is this what you mean? (cant hear anything with the engine running)
The only reason im asking is that my steering is causing me some concern. Most of the time it is tight , heavy and feels fine but sometimes i can park the car after a drive return to it 30mins later and the there seems to be play in the steering wheel and it feels much lighter and less tight. This is on the same road in the same conditions and sometimes on the same day.
The next time i drive the car it may be OK again and stay like that for days.

Is this the same as you or was your steering bad all of the time??
Appreciate 0