06-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #23
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Twitchy has a copyright and he's posted it right on the picture. I agree, there's little to be gained by claiming a portion of the proceeds from selling that POS, but he has the right.

For extra protection you can use sites that prevent download without payment. The guy that takes pictures of the BMW club's autocrosses around here uses such a site. He charges for pictures in a number of styles and then will let you license the image for $101. He has one that I'd like to license, but the license on my own computer won't let me show it beyond my family, so, for instance, I couldn't show it here. It wouldn't even be legal for me to email a copy to my brother, which I'd want to do. For that kind of fee I want more options, but that's where he set his price.

However, I just read an article about protecting your copyright. Even if it's just getting the offender to remove the piece, the author argued that it's worth defending your position. He, a professional, said to always go for money; otherwise, people will just use your work, expecting not to get caught and thinking they'll just remove it without consequence. Sueing IS expensive, he warned. I think it was in Shutterbug Magazine if anyone want to look for it.

Dave