View Single Post
      06-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #187
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones View Post
Started claying my 2nd car, and am getting more familiar with technique. I prefer using much larger pieces, no smaller than 1/10th a bar. And I think I was a bit timid in my pressure. I applied a bit more pressure, and it seemed to go fine.

David, one thing I notice. I can clay a given 2'x2' area for a full minute, and it is as clean as possible. No rough portions at all, no scraping sound, nice and clean. Yet when I rub my fingers over it after drying, I still feel tiny tiny granules. Is this expected? Do I need a finer clay? The clay I'm now using is labeled "fine". Or is this just a matter of preference?

One thing I just did was use clay on my windows. WOW! On a 12.5 year old VW, I don't think they were that clean brand new!
Once you get the hang of claying you can definitely move up to using bigger pieces of clay for multiple sections. Cutting smaller pieces for different sections is good for beginners so they don't cause any marring.

In terms of the roughness after claying, it probably does need a bit more claying to get 100% smooth would be my guess. The clay itself sounds fine.
Appreciate 0