06-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #188
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 328i, 1995 VW Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Once you get the hang of claying you can definitely move up to using bigger pieces of clay for multiple sections. Cutting smaller pieces for different sections is good for beginners so they don't cause any marring.

In terms of the roughness after claying, it probably does need a bit more claying to get 100% smooth would be my guess. The clay itself sounds fine.
Just so I'm clear, the very very fine roughness I feel even after claying is not a matter of the 'grade' of clay? In other words, 'fine', vs 'very fine' (does clay come in different degrees of 'fine'?), but is rather that I'm not claying long enough?

One thing I just learned, I used Mother's clay in a pinch, and it was horrible! I will never use Mother's clay again. It fell apart, was not cohesive, and was not as effective as the Clay Magic I first used.

EDIT: Just learned the following: For the brand 'Clay Magic', medium grade (red) removes moderate to heavy contaminants; fine grade (blue) removes light to moderate contaminants. So that makes sense. I don't think the fine grade (blue) is fine enough to remove the tiny granules I am feeling. What I would need is a very fine grade - don't know if that is even manufactured.
Appreciate 0