07-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #184
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
How hard is this DIY? Like from 1-10 and 10 best the hardest.

I've done lots of maintenance stuff to my cars like replacing brakes, rotors, oil, tranny oil, spark plugs, and other easy DIY. I've just never really attempted to do a water pump on any of my cars before but this DIY makes me want to go at it myself.

How hard is this DIY compared to the other maintenance stuff? I have a garage full of tools so I feel confident I have everything I need except for a few specialty tools.
I think you will find the WP/T-stat DIY pretty easy based on your level of experience. It's not a hard DIY at all, but you will need to have the car has high up in the air as possible on 4 jackstands (the safest way to work underneath any car) to have enough room to work. Follow Eninty's DIY and you will have no problem. The only special tools you need are a set of E-Torx sockets and an auto mechanic's dental pick (good for removing electrical connectors) and 1/4-drive ratchet, extension bars, and swivel joint. The job is way easier than replacing a belt driven pump.

The beauty of the N52/N54 electric water pump is bleeding the cooling system because you do not have to run the engine and get it hot to bleed the air out.
Appreciate 0