View Single Post
      02-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Battery Safety Terminal Question

I have a question on what, if anything in the photo below needs to be replaced.

Background:
Previous owner had a minor fender bender, one airbag went off. Driver seat lower seatbelt is sinched down, others seem fine. Already have new airbag and lower seatbelt, not yet installed.

Dash lights: Restraint system, Airbag. iDrive shows the same, plus two signal lights and the SOS warning. Car runs/drives perfectly fine.

Previous owner told me he spoke with a BMW tech who told him to simply "squeeze" the battery terminal together. It appears as shown in the photo. Note the following: 2b and 3 are loose wires.

Questions:

A. What is the significance of the fact that 2b is not plugged into 2a? What does this lead do? If it has to do with the airbag, do I risk blowing any other airbags by plugging it back in? Really not sure what to do with this, or why it's unplugged.

B. What should 3 connect to?

C. I have not labeled it, but what is the significance of the white powder on the blue plug on the left? This appears to be connected.

D. The plastic is marred in the vicinity of 1. Should this be replaced?

E. What's up with the white powder around the only connector (w/approx. 8 GA wire) attached to the distribution block?

As I said, the car runs perfectly. I am not interested in replacing parts for the purpose of replacing them, particularly when it *seems* nothing is wrong. But - despite a good outcome of whatever "repair" was done, I find the rigging job questionable, and want to at least know which parts if any are a high priority to replace. And which parts should be replaced but are not immediately critical to getting past aformentioned errors/lights.

After I replace the airbag and seatbelt, could the airbag and restraint system errors be coded out, or would this battery safety terminal situation cause interference?

Finally - would anything discussed so far produce an SOS error? The others make sense to me; this one seems from left field.

Thanks in advance.

Appreciate 0