05-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m

On a new car, don't use polish (abrasives) - just some sort of wax / resin coating (make sure is says 'non abrasive)
Even a new car car benfit from a polish.

I've used Zymol on my E46 from the day after I got it. Although expensive I would highly recommend it. It lasts longer than the Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and as it's formulated using natural ingredients and will make the outside of your car smell great .

The shampoo (Clear Autobathe) has been formulated to avoid removing any wax layer from the car, so you can go for longer between apllications.

The polish (HD_Cleanse) is a lovely chocolate like sauce that brings the surface to absolute smoothness. Even the day after picking up the car the areas not polished were significantly rougher, and the polishing cloth would slide straight off any surface with the slightest camber when polished.

The wax (I use Z3) contains 21% Carnauba Sap and 22% Brazillian Carnauba (the toughest known wax). You can use the heat of your hands to melt it and rub it on (if no one is looking). It buffs up easily to a great shine that lasts. It smells of coconut, and whilst putting the first coat on my neighbour even complimented me on the smell of the car!

The water beading properties are the biggest problem. When you wash the car the next time the water beads quickly and runs off before you can chamois down.

Bird Strikes wash off more easily than with Autoglym (normally a hose down is enough) and because it is only a wax you can build up a good coating over several washes.

For the wheels I initially just used the same wash and wax, but didn't keep to waxing the wheels.. Now I just do the best I can and give up.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0