View Single Post
      01-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
BMWGBUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 318i SE

E90 Pro head unit - fitted 250w rms amp + 12" sub but still lack bass...

Beleive me I have used all the search options but just want a few things cleared up!

I want to keep Professional oem head unit for obvious reasons

I have high level input into a 250w rms class D monoblock amp
I get extreme bass when the boot (trunk) lid is open - but as I expected and read before - the bass struggles to get into the cabin to be heard! I dont have split folding seats in my Saloon/Sedan

I took the high level input from rear speakers (just to test amp/sub works) Its a perfectly matched 12" sub btw.

I appreciate I may get a clearer, better signal from the underfloor subs speaker cable....
But what I heard when I open the boot is more than acceptible if I had a hatch back!

Anyway;

Question: Would replacing the Pro head unit with a 4x50w per channel new Alpine head unit give me that much more bass (keeping all speakers OEM and no 12" sub) I am thinking that giving the OEM subs under seats the 50W from the new head unit would be a great increase over the Pro head unit? Ive uprated the 4" front door speakers already (for coaxials as I dont have any tweeters)

And also - I really dont like splicing, fiddling as my car is under warranty - so would replacing the OEM 6" sub for a deeper bass mid-bass speaker under the seats (like 6x9 or 17cm?) be any better...........I cant see how compared to a BMW 6" sub but worth asking. I know a 6x9 speaker with a 50w input can and does kick out a fair bit of bass? Many thanks
Appreciate 0