10-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #17
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
This just illustrates the stupidity and irrelevance of the current approach to speeding.

I recommend that everyone should have a look at the following site, which asks some very sensible questions about the reasons for the 'war on speeding':

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

The author of the site is absolutely correct. Rigid and draconian enforcement of speed limits stops drivers from learning to moderate their speed to a level appropriate to the road conditions and distracts them from safe driving.

How many times have you had to slam on the brakes because someone in front of you does an emergency stop when they see a speed camera? Because they are not necessarily aware of their speed they typically slow down to much ... to say 60mph in a 70mph area.

The M6 toll is a very well built and very quiet road. In general in a modern car speeds in excess of 70mph are absolutely safe and appropriate for the road conditions on the toll.

There are plenty of places where people drive at speeds which are not appropriate. Quite often this is within prescribed limits. That's where the police should be concentrating.

Prosecuting people for doing 90mph on the toll is pointless.

I am in total agreement NFS, good post