View Single Post
      11-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
My fillings are pretty good I guess, the susp was pretty stiff on my old car but the improved cornering I felt was worth it. However for most city driving the nice feel of the OEM sp susp is not the be discarded for just any stiff setup or car slam.
I agree. I don't want to compromise driving enjoyment at all, so I don't want a suspension to feel "hard". (Other than that, I believe that a firm suspension is more comfortable than a pillowy one, as I'm sure you do!)

Quote:
I thought I did mention the RSB effects, maybe indirectly: improved body roll, w/o the overall further stiffening of the ride, which is what stiffer shocks+springs do. If the M3 sways make it more neutral, that's what I'm after !
What opened my eyes was looking at the numbers, and the numbers say that the M3 bar -- if we ignore bump stops -- snap the car into balance. It takes an understeering car like the E9X and makes it into a 50/50 car. This is true at many different rates of main spring, as long as one sticks to relatively equal F/R spring rates.

Perhaps you would like to look at what Orb has written in this forum. He can be abusive and incoherent but he is often correct. There is also a spreadsheet he contributed that was uploaded by Mr.5. It's buried in some thread somewhere here.

Using the spreadsheet has been eye-opening for me.

Also. There is a powerful way to search the forums that is much better than the built in search. If you don't already know about it, it's very helpful for scanning the forums. Use Google like this:

orb roll bar site:e90post.com

and you'll get hits restricted to the web site.

Quote:
The 800lbs per corner is the force that the springs have to support at rest. It has no relevance when compression/load occurs, the spring rate is what counts then (as well as upon extension/unload). Given my previous experience w/ and w/o the RSB, the improvement of having one were tremendous.
High rate springs do reduce movement. The more initial the movement, the less efficiently a high spring rate will stop it.

(800 + 300) / (800 + 150) = 1.16

Double the front main spring rate and you reach 16% more resistance after one full inch of travel. I tell you it's the shocks, man!

The rear sway bar although expensive is a good mod and I think you should do it. I'm just talking about the role shocks have in controlling movement.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0