View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I think when most say ban guns what they mean is that at least a bit of gun control might prevent this kind of thing from happening so frequently. Does your average person looking to protect themselves and their property really need a military grade semi automatic assault rifle with laser scope and hollow point rounds? Definitely fucking not.

In reply to APs examples.

Switzerland has national service. This is why there is a gun in nearly every household (nearly all are ex service rifles). The same is true, or was until recently of both Serbia and Yemen which are the second and third highest countries for guns owned. It is also a fact that although it is impressive to say "nearly a gun in every household" it is also fact that Serbia, which is the next closest country to America for number of guns per head of population actually has nearly half the number of guns. 90 guns per 100 resident in America and 50 per 100 in Serbia.

As for Mexico. It's well known that it has one of the largest organised crime problems in the world due to the drug cartels. Organised criminals the world over have guns. The only good point about that is that they generally use them to kill other criminals. Not innocent people and children in schools. There needs to be a distinction between guns in organised crime and guns in the hands of the insane.

At the end of the day, thankfully I don't have to live in America. I just wish they would stop all being so bloody stupid and short sighted and do something for the greater good rather than thinking about their rights as individuals. The classic "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument is the most ridiculous and unmeasured argument for lax gun control that I have ever heard, and I've probably read it about 100 times over the last week. I've yet to hear or read one argument which makes a valid and reasonable point in favourite of arming a whole nation to the teeth during peace time.

Something worth thinking about. Until the mid 1960s it was English law that every man over the age of 16 should own a long bow and was required, by law to practice with said long bow for at least 1 hour per week. Dare say we have a few people here old enough. Did anyone do it? Just because some piece of paper several hundred years old says something doesn't make it right.
Appreciate 0