Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi19 View Post
Oh yea I'm well aware of how smooth the paint feels. Just the clay bar alone makes a huge difference. I'm just wondering if the PC is really necessary because its not like I'm buffing out any scratches or swirls. Zaino is just a sealant, not really able to resurface the clear. I'm just wondering if I can get away with not having to buy new pads everytime I want to detail a car.
If you aren't polishing, you really don't need a PC. You're correct that the clay makes the paint feel smooth as glass. Polishing afterward levels out the fine scratches and makes it shiny as a mirror.

I am glad I own a machine polisher, even though I only use it a few times a year. I take great care in wash technique, hand wash about once a week, and carefully remove bird droppings and whatnot as soon as I see them. Still, after six months, I'll still have some fine scratches, swirls, and random etching from rain or bird droppings. That's just how it goes with a daily driver. With a clay and light polish twice a year, followed by sealant, the car looks stunning, as good as new. It can be a grueling day or two of detailing, but the results are worth it. You can get the same results by hiring someone for a few hundred bucks, but it's a labor of love and I like doing it myself.

Plus, it's always less stressful to notice some paint damage and be able to say "I can fix that" rather then fretting too much about it.