Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
If you aren't polishing, you really don't need a PC. You're correct that the clay makes the paint feel smooth as glass. Polishing afterward levels out the fine scratches and makes it shiny as a mirror.

I am glad I own a machine polisher, even though I only use it a few times a year. I take great care in wash technique, hand wash about once a week, and carefully remove bird droppings and whatnot as soon as I see them. Still, after six months, I'll still have some fine scratches, swirls, and random etching from rain or bird droppings. That's just how it goes with a daily driver. With a clay and light polish twice a year, followed by sealant, the car looks stunning, as good as new. It can be a grueling day or two of detailing, but the results are worth it. You can get the same results by hiring someone for a few hundred bucks, but it's a labor of love and I like doing it myself.

Plus, it's always less stressful to notice some paint damage and be able to say "I can fix that" rather then fretting too much about it.
Great post BK. I agree 100%, especially the last sentence.
Appreciate 0