View Single Post
      09-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I've had people at gas stations, driving rusted out 1974 Oldsmobuicks, ask about the car, and while they might be a bit ignorant, often those "insignificant peasants" are the ones who dont lack tact, cause they dont just jump straight to the cost. You can tell a lot by where people look when they ask you. Their gaze is often fixed on the car, not me, and they ask stuff like how fast it is, or how much power it has, and eventually get to the cost question, and it's obvious they are curious about the car, even tho they might never get to own one themselves. Five minutes later they couldnt describe me, cause there was no eye contact; but I bet they could describe the car in vivid detail! I got all the time in the world for those people, cause I was there once myself.

It's the folks who are all about impressing others that are the problem in my experience.

Then there are those who look at the car long enough to determine it's probably > 10K, then never look at the car again, and are glancing at my watch to see if it's expensive looking (sorry, it's a Casio, not a Rolex), generally giving me the once-over. When you try and engage them about the car itself, it's painfully obvious they couldnt care less how fast it goes, or how much power it has, or anything about it, except how expensive it is.

Usually they are not driving the 1974 Oldsmobuick, but often a newer model that they often know nothing about if you ask them, probably purchased for it's ability to impress others. Sorry, but if I'm being honest, I got no problem demeaning them...
Appreciate 0