View Single Post
      08-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Their new base V6 in the Mustang is a NA version of the 3.5 displacing 3.7L. It makes around 280 hp. There is a new V8 option for next year, its called the "Coyote" V8. 5L, 32v and makes 400 hp. There doesn't appear to be an Ecotech V6 option in the mustang for at least a while.
That's interesting. Pretty much what I thought would happen but didn't think they'd put the 3.7 in the Mustang, but the cheaper 3.5 instead. Plus wasn't the 3.7 used in the Lincoln's and the 3.5 in the Ford's?

I had heard a couple years ago that Ford was working on another 5.0 V8, but haven't heard of it for awhile so I thought they dropped it.

I kinda figured the EcoBoost in the Mustang would be a pipe dream right now, simply because a lot more people would get that version than the V8 version.
The 3.5 EcoBoost makes 365 hp and the V8 400, but the V6 is probably lighter, gets 2-3 mpg better gas mileage, will be a bit cheaper to insure and with even a mild tune will waste the V8 in acceleration too.

Ford really needed 420 hp out of the new V8 though to be in line with the Camaro SS

Oh well. Maybe somebody will do an engine swap and put the EcoBoost in the Mustang.
That would be sweet.
Appreciate 0