View Single Post
      07-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #27
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
my terms were strictly business, i could make scenarios to argue your point and make things with different outcomes

when it comes down to it, when you make a business that primarily runs on vacation(which the ocean is a big draw for these people), you have to be ready for things that might slow business and save for down times like now

what if sharks all of a sudden came in large amounts near the sand, doubt people would come to the beach other than tanning.

All i am saying is business owners should plan for bad times and expect the worst and hope for the best, not go so far in debt that one mishap puts them out of business and they blame everyone but their financial planning
How does it make a difference if it's business or personal? I argue that it makes no sense to separate the two. After all, shouldn't we all have 6 months worth of liquid money saved up to protect us against unforeseen circumstances in our personal lives?

I'm all for responsible business planning to get through the thin times, but this isn't a downturn. This is a lasting and relatively permanent change to that area. I can't think of any small business that can provide an adequate living to the proprietor at 50 to 80 percent less revenue for the next 10 years and that's exactly what these restaurant owners, fishermen, etc. are facing.

Re: your shark example - I understand your point but there is a reason that insurance contracts, etc. specifically protect themselves from exposure due to "acts of God" or natural catastrophes. Those are well understood risks because absolutely nothing can be done to prevent or escape them.

In this case, the oil spill was not an act of God. It was an event specifically triggered by the well operators and owners. To relate it to your shark example - would you feel any different if those sharks were placed by the shore and held there by a private party?

In this case, there is a party(s) that must be held accountable for the sea change they've triggered in the gulf area (no pun intended). Those truly affected have every right to air their grievances and to have their issues heard.
Appreciate 0