12-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #79
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
The best thing they have on the horizon is doubling the capacity using a new porous membrane. Unfortunately its also going to cause the battery to wear out considerably quicker. And that is disruptive technology, the first disruptive technology we have seen in decades.

I think as city cars alone they do work well but for over the road they just don't work. Its not that I don't want them to work, its just that they don't. I would put money that hydrogen will beat cars to a feasible drive across the continent. And for most people they cant afford a $75k car for the city only and then another to go to grandmas house.
This is an interesting point, Electrics as city cars. It seems to me living in a city such as New York City, or Washington D.C., having a BEV car would be a total PIA. Most city dwellers live in apartments or townhomes so how to safely charge a plug-in electric seems to be an issue. The viability of the electric car works on the concept of charging it overnight when it is not in use.

In a city environment this is difficult for two reasons: vandalism and parking density. In most large cities cars are stored in high density parking garages where the cars are constantly moved to gat access to other (owners) cars when needed. This proves difficult for consistant charging and leaving the plugging-in to someone (other than the owner) who has no interest in whether the car is fully charged or not. The vandalism issue is self explanatory.
Appreciate 0