08-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post

Either way, I'm sure it's best for base-stereo owners to change to HiFi outputs before tuning aftermarket components. DSP or not, it's better to start with a verified flat input.
With DSP, it really depends how MUCH better it is, as a function of:

1) How good the results are if you don't recode

2) How hard it is to get the recoding performed (distance, degree of coacing of guy running the AL, etc)

3) How much it costs

If I had a customer who wanted the JBL Mobile Synthesis processing, with a center channel and rear effects and all, I would have a tough time saying that recoding was "needed". I would rather improve other things with the same funds.

If we had already handled all the aspects where budget increases could yield what I would expect to be better results - front component selection, underseat woofers selection, amplifier channel count, trunk sub selection if desired - then I would put recoding on the punch list.

On the other hand, recoding on a budget system? If someone would like a 4-channel amp, new fronts, and new underseat woofers, with the rear speakers on deck power - THAT would be powerful. We here would be able to offer a 4-channel system starting around $750 in parts, and a 6-channel system starting around $900. Exact packages differ based on vehicle and component selection.
Appreciate 0