Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You and tirerack are comparing braking in ideal conditions NOT SNOW.
No, the comparison is in snow. This is clear from the testing.

Quote:
That is that I was referring to when saying that AWD benefits braking through the use of engine braking four contract points instead of two, twice the amount of retardation through engine braking
I was clear about braking distance and tirerack was clear about panic stops where ABS is activated in the SNOW...there is even video

Quote:
Also if you break traction while engine braking on a rwd car the tail has a good chance of getting away from you and once that happens (which can happen pretty quickly) it's near enough impossible to bring back, with an awd car all wheels are contract to the engine it's an even pressure over both axles and the worse case scenario is all four wheel will lose traction but at least the whole car will be sliding evenly in the same direction.
Again, I was refering to stopping distance where ABS is activated. Nowhere did I mention engine braking. However, having driven in extreme winter conditions for over 25 years in many different vehicles, and having learned car control basics in RWD boat/car, I have yet to suffer loss of the rear end from engine braking that you describe, especially one that was not recoverable.

Quote:
This is the difference between arguing your case from experience and arguing your case by googling
Interesting....hmmmm....first, you chastize me for not doing a search first when I offer my opinions...then you chastize me for offering actual testing of SNOW conditions and tireracks opinion that AWD does not benefit stopping in snow...

My experience with winter braking is extensive...drove in it today

I was just offering the common sense notion that braking distance in snow is affected by the tires at the contact patch, not the drivetrane. With ABS activated, I fail to understand how engine braking would benefit and shorten the stopping distance in snow.

Appreciate 0