04-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
You sure enuf got that right

I have the Bimmian rings - they were a ROYAL PITA to install without scratching the inside of the lens when removing the old rings...
I learned how to do it (remove the old rings) my second time around. I ended up covering the entire inside surface of the glass in 2 layers of paper towel (carefully placing it so as not to drag it along the glass unnecessarily), then removing the old rings as following:

1) Use an exacto blade to cut off the 2 lower clips while rings were still inserted
2) unclip top 3 clips so rings are semi-free
3) bend rings until they break in 2 places, giving 2 "half rings"--top half and bottom half (top half easily comes out)
4) carefully thread the bottom half out, just following the circle around towards the top, after which they come out easily, checking to make sure paper towel is intact after each movement

When I was installing the new ones, I thought they would break before I'd get them into an oval to thread them through the openings, but they're actually more flexible than they first appear, and since the new rings only have 3 top clips (as opposed to the original 5), installing them isn't too bad, though still requires some force

Finally, use air from a compressor or can duster from all possible angles (esp. edges) until the inside of the glass/plastic is perfectly clean

Last edited by yakev724; 04-19-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0