04-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Dashboard Speaker Pods: Interfere with Airbags?

So I am looking into fiberglassing some pods to add a pair of 6.5 inch speakers to my front soundstage. I think they will just fit in the corners of the windshield and yes they will cover over those vents. But I am not too worried about that.

What concerns me is the airbags. I see high up on the A-pillar trim the word "airbag" and I presume that is where the curtain airbags come out of that cover the windshield. I have seen a single cutaway illustration of an e90 with all airbags deployed here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256

But it is not clear as to whether speaker pods on the dash will interfere with airbag deployment.

The pods will be removable and I just have to figure out how to secure them so they dont fly back in the event of being rear-ended.

Edit: Okay, I think this (see photo below) will be a better location. It will be in the way when I get in or out of the car, but I can get over that. I do not use that space much when moving my feet around so being to the outside in front of the seat will likely be best.
Attached Images

Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.

Last edited by Quasimodem; 04-23-2013 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Appreciate 0