Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I don't like the hack, he annoys me, which should lend more unbias to the fact I'm about to agree with him (at least on the dimples) The point of slotted and drilled rotors is to let escaping gases escape from the area between the rotor and pad itself. A dimple is not going to do this, or at the very least not as effectively. A slot or a hole will. And he is also correct that for most street applications they are almost 100% useless as you wont have any out gassing at those temps. However, some people make repeated stops from 150+ mph on the street, and they will play a role there.

None of the aforementioned designs are for cooling, at all, the only effect on cooling is the vanes themselves the airflow they receive from the center of the rotor and how effective their internal structure is, they receive no additional cooling from drills or slots, which actually only serve to decrease the maximum heat capacity of the rotor.

Slots do in fact increase brake wear over a flat rotor as well.

Also I can't tell if those rotors have straight vanes or curved vanes, but as far as I can tell your rotors are on backwards MR 5, the slots are supposed to contact the pad at the outer most radius FIRST and move in, not the other way around like yours are installed (assuming correct design). But before that you are supposed to install them by vane design (if curved) so that the vanes are curving toward the back of the car. Both these things are counter intuitive so tons of people put them on wrong (and even "engineers" design them wrong).
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Found something for you Mr. 5 that explains with pictures how to properly install rotors.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_pro...all_rotors.htm
I read that and you should read it too.
If you read about the direction of the slots then you will see that the direction of the slots doesn't matter. it's the direction of the cooling vanes in the rotors that matter. The pictures are an example.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0