Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF
Hey guys,

***UPDATE*** This thread has now been updated with 2009+ iDrive SETTINGS.. ***

As promised before, I am starting a NEW thread on the optimal EQ settings for the E90's, E92's, I-Drive and Non I-Drive cars. All the settings are more up to date than before and better.

2009+ E92 iDrive SETTINGS:

These settings work very well for E90's with the 2009+ iDrive as well!

100hz -1
200hz 0
500hz +3
1khz +6
2khz -3
5khz +3
10khz +6

BASS 0
TREB +1
FADER 0
S-VOL: Minimum setting
Aux-In Level: NOT APPLICAPLE IN 2009+ iDrive Systems
LOGIC7 Surround: ON
For those who have the IPOD adapter as well.. make sure the IPOD internal EQ is turned off! (This applies to ALL CARS!)

E92 NON I-DRIVE SETTINGS:

Here are the settings and WHY:

80hz -2
200hz 0
500hz +2
1khz +2
2khz -3
5khz -1
10khz +4

BASS +3
TREB +1
FADER +2
S-VOL 1
Aux-In Level 3 (center position)
LOGIC7 = MUSIC
For those who have the IPOD adapter as well.. make sure the IPOD internal EQ is turned off! (This applies to ALL CARS!)

Now as far as LOGIC7 modes... Whether you have I-Drive or not... its a matter of PREFERENCE. The settings posted above, I recommend using LOGIC7 in the MUSIC mode for NON I-Drive vehicles. Why did I say leave it off before, and now I am saying its good to turn on? Well here is the reason: With the FADER set to 0 or biased toward the rear like how some others recommended, you will get that dreaded rear fading issue, where it sounds like the rear's are cutting in and out. First thing is first, sound staging should NEVER be toward the rear of the car. It only crowds the sound and makes certain notes and instruments play very peaky and annoyingly. Listen to some new age classical such as Yanni playing the piano, and you will see exactly what I am trying to say.

If you decide to not use LOGIC7, there is nothing wrong with that. It's merely a matter of preference. Through time and experience with this audio system, I have learned that once dialed in well, the LOGIC7 surround processor actually helps to widen the sound field as if you are in a larger car. This is a very ideal quality! Yes, I do feel that BMW could have done a better job with its LOGIC7 setup (Mercedes does a much better job at it), but this sounds good for what it is.

E92 WITH I-DRIVE SETTINGS:

100hz -2
200hz 0
500hz +2
1khz +2
2khz -3
5khz -1
10khz +4

BASS +3
TREB +1
FADER +2
S-VOL 1
LOGIC7 = CONCERT HALL

E90 NON I-DRIVE SETTINGS:

80hz -2
200hz 0
500hz +2
1khz +3
2khz -2
5khz -1
10khz +4

BASS +4
TREB +1
FADER +2
S-VOL 1
LOGIC7 = MUSIC

Well, FINALLY those are the settings for the E90's. Unfortunately, the E90's have it worse than the E92's. The sound staging in the coupes are a lot better, bass focus is more centralized, tighter and stronger due to the way its setup in the car. The settings posted directly above, are the best settings I could come up for the E90's with LOGIC7. The under seat subs in the E90's do not provide the same type of bass as opposed to the E92's and in essence its gives the feeling that the stereo is weaker to its 2-door counterpart.

E90 WITH I-DRIVE SETTINGS:

100hz -2
200hz 0
500hz +2
1khz +3
2khz -2
5khz -1
10khz +4

BASS +4
TREB +1
FADER +2
S-VOL 1
LOGIC7 = CONCERT HALL

I hope this simplified thread can help all of you... And as always, if any of you have questions or curious about anything, I will do my best to help you out..

Besides myself, there are a few others I have seen around this part of the forum who are knowledgable in the car audio arena. Technik is one of them that comes to mind..

Just a mini FYI.. for those wanting a thumping heart rattling sound system, don't expect these settings to offer that by any means! The LOGIC7 sound system in our E9x's are not that type of audio system. Its basic layout is more SQ than anything. These settings are a prolonged attempt to offer the most balanced, peak-less and desirable sound possible based on what BMW has left on the table for us.

If you do not listen to your music at moderate to high volumes, feel free to adjust the BASS and TREBLE settings to your liking. Those two parameters are set the way they are because I personally listen to music at moderate to higher volumes. Lower volumes may need some additional compensation, BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE EQ!

Again, I hope this helps you guys! Good luck and hopefully enjoy!

--Malek
Hey Malek just wondering if you know which set of settings would be optimal for a '12 135 w/HK?