View Single Post
      05-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #73
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I took three plastics manufacturing courses in college, and manuafactured plastic parts early in my career, so I know a bit about plastics. I've been in both modern BMWs and Cadillacs (ATS and CTS), there's really no decernable difference in the quality of materials used. It's a matter of styling preference. As someone said earlier, when a American car matches or beats a BMW in performance, it turns to the "quality" of the interior.
I have not seen the molding process for both brands or read the MSDS sheets but I can tell you the support of the plastic (foam and clip adjustments) and how its molded makes a big difference. The finish design also makes a difference. Glossy black is a magnet for scratches. My dads XTS is already showing signs of the plastics not being finished and supported properly. The dealer told him its a GM thing and that's why its cheaper then a other brands.

GM interiors have been known as one the worst out there for being on the cheaper side but you have to remember its a mass market brand. I own a GMC Sierra and I laugh all the time I find hollow plastics and poor support for trim pieces.
Appreciate 0