View Single Post
      09-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

Yes, sorry for not making myself clearer - the 'Maintenance Check' I paid £35 for, is over and above the 'Vehicle Check' (which costs above £100) which is necessary for the 'stamps in the book'.

I wanted something to show for my £35, not just a receipt saying 'Maintenance Check' (ie a breakdown of what had been checked, if only a tickbox carbon copy provided to me).

I thought in paying to have the car looked at in what I thought was better detail than the vehicle just having it's MOT to see if any warranty items needed replacement before the end of the AUC warranty (if I'd seen a list of items covered, such as engine oil, coolant fluid, brake discs and know I'd not been getting a report on items), I was talked into it and sold something I didn't need. Clearly £35, checking fluid levels and a few other basic things for an enthusiast owner is totally unecessary. Yes, a silly error on my part, but I am usually a savvy consumer and others may fall into the same trap - I thought in posting it may prevent this.

On a previous e46 330d, before the 3yr manufacturer's warranty had expired, it was noted the common problem of the rear coil spring having snapped was detected. Granted, this should have been brought up on the MOT component of the check, but it was with this in mind, I thought the 'additional check' would be helpful.

I have actually today bought the Mondial BMW insured warranty, at the zero excess level on a monthly rolling basis with breakdown cover included. I didn't think this would be quite so easy to claim on as the AUC warranty since I have no prior experience. I need to have stamps in my book to be able to continue with the warranty (and have an unmodified 335d to qualify also). The peace of mind, means I'll keep the car longer. I'd otherwise have been trading which would have ultimately cost me more. I only have 31200 miles on the clock and had trouble finding a car in the first place with the options I'd wanted.

It was useful I guess having BMW do the MOT, as they could then clear the 'Statutory Inspection' warning the iDrive would keep throwing up (that I thought indicated Vehicle Inspection). I don't know whether my local MOT garage can clear BMW codes (though I'm aware a growing number can through second party software which is relatively inexpensive).
Appreciate 0