View Single Post
      11-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet.

Quote:
Wow, a lot of interesting insight, thanks so far. The prevailing sentiment seems to be that moving to a lighter wheel will pay more dividends than making a tire switch? This opens a new bag of questions from me but i think i may leave that for a later time.

I asked my previous questions because im in the process of making the switch over to winter tires and the plan currently is to buy a staggered set of non-RFT 18"'s to wrap around my 162's. More specifically, Pirelli w240 Sottozero's (the only set anyone can find around here, ill be lucky if i even get these). My hope currently is that i will notice enough of an improvement when running on those that i can ditch my stock summer run-flats in favor of non-RFT's as well. But again judging from the replies so far, this solution may not work out as well as i hope.

A lighter wheel and non-RFT tires must be the best combination (and the most expsensive), but which of the following combo's would yield the most success in reducing the weight of the steering? 1) Stock wheels + non-RFT, or 2) Light wheels + RFT, assuming all dimensions are the same?
Definitely option # 2, sorry man, but you need to go the expensive way for what you're looking for. The upside is that there are many many wheels lighter than stocks (get forged wheels) and styles that will run your brain for many days plus it'll make your car will look so much better!

So the problem for the heavy steering has nothing to do with tires, it's a mass/weight thing. Reducing the weight is the only way to go.

RFT's will provide a barely harsh ride due to the tire's side wall added components to help you run them with little or no air pressure. This is the 2nd reason people tend to eliminate them; the first reason is price. Kee p posting if you need additional help!

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
R.I.P. 335i, 010 135i here!
Appreciate 0