View Single Post
      01-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Fog light wet sand

Ever since I got my car, the stone chipped fog lights have been doing my nut in as it let down the front.

I found the best way to do this was to remove the fog lamp itself.

To do this, you need to remove the wheel arch liner as per youtube video below (thanks for that)

The fog lamp is held by 3 bolts (think its 7mm bolts), undo these and the fog lamp will slip out from the front. They are located by the 3 arrows.

This is my first time wet sanding and it’s something I was a bit apprehensive of carrying out. I only had time to do one fog light and it started to rain as I was fitting the fog light back on. So the other fog light and headlights will be done over the weekend.

I forgot to take a picture of the left lamp whilst it was on the car but it looked very similar to the right. The lens was heavily pitted and marked.

Ready to be wet sanded

I started out with an assortment of wet and dry, I originally started with 800 grit wet and dry but it did not remove the deep pitted marks. So I worked my way from bottom 240 – 600 – 800 – 1200 – 2500

50/50 after 240 grit

800 grit

2500 grit

As you can see after 2500 grit there is still some pitted marks, I was very cautious so decided to leave it as it is and attempt it again over the weekend.

Then I got kicked out of the kitchen as I was making too much of a mess

I then used some scholl S3 compound on a small spider pass at 800 rpm to pass, then 3 passes at 1200 rpm and then 1 pass at 900 rpm
50/50

Then I finished off with megs plastx (my camera battery ran out by this stage)

Then back onto the car (I have still yet to do both headlights and the other drivers fog light)

So I have gone from

To this

Overall I am quite happy with the result, its not a 100% perfect as I had limited time and was up against the weather (I wish I had a garage to work from)

I finished off using a sealent just to protect the finish.
Thanks for reading
Appreciate 0