02-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
I thought I'd get a price and see - but the guy keeps telling me it's the wrong part number - it's not on his system. (In a concerned voice " Where do you get these part numbers from" - in a calm voice "The BMW parts catalogue")
Yes, they type the number you give them into their price system, and if BMW SA hasnt put that part on it yet it says invalid part number. This is often done with restricted items like some M3 parts

Some parts guys know who to phone at BMW SA to special order a part not on the dealer system, but they usually want a VIN and ID number. The BMW SA person then looks it up on their international system and orders it.

I know the parts guys that dont know me get freaked out when I tell them what page to get the parts on their system.

The best is often when im at a dealer ill ask the service manager to check what CIP verion their SSS computer is running. They get totally freaked out when I have to show them what buttons to press to see the version and want to know what work I do for BMW