03-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
Hankook S1 Evo 2 for me.

Falkens are over hyped on the Internet IMO. I've never seen an actual good review apart from owners justifying their purchase!
I searched high and low for performance testing of the Falken 452 when I was hearing the forum reports a few years back. The Falken never seemed to get a test against any of the premium brands. Then I found a full test review in a performance multi-tyre test in a 'Wheels' magazine 2008 tyre test. The fact it was with the Goodyear F1 asymmetric (pretty much the benchmark tyre in 2008) and the Dunlop SP sport Maxx gave it some credibility. The Falken came in second, to the Goodyear, almost the same performance as the Goodyear F1 asymmetric.

The tester commented:

Quote:
Me? I’d opt for the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, despite its significant price premium. And, if it wasn’t yet available in my size, I’d be happy to drive off with the Falken FK 452 and pocket the change. This pair were up the sharp end of the field so predictably often, they’re an obvious choice if driving enjoyment really is your thing.
As I couldn't get the Goodyear F1 asymmetric in my sizes, I fitted the Falken 452 to my 330d, replacing the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 (another top tyre in its time), found the Falken very similar in performance to the F1 GS-D3. In fact the way they rode improved the 330d over and above the Goodyear, which did surprise me. I'd chosen the GS-D3 for its wet weather bias, being known as the "wet meister" by testers in its time. The Falken didn't disappoint either, on our wet roads up here, very good wet performance.

BTW, I don't justify it on price, I could afford any tyre I wanted to fit. The Michelin PS2 wasn't available in my 17" sizes, or the Goodyear F1, same for the better Continental offerings. I was looking for a tyre which fitted somewhere between the F1 GS-D3 and the F1 asymmetric for performance.

No experience (or done any research) on the Falken 453, so can't comment on where that sits in the pack.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0