06-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
Completely agree, unfortunately for me it was basically step by step instruction from the beginning in addition to him controlling the wheel at times... there was no assessment, simply taking orders + we were going so slow that I had to constantly point people by and could not focus on my line or the next corner. Looking forward to good instructors and some solo time as well.

I agree that learning the fundamentals is essential, but beyond that it depends on the vehicle and the driver; I was having difficulty learning since I had very little control unless I were to blatantly disobey the instructor and the vehicle was barely being pushed. Just about every corner I took had too little entry speed that turning in late would not have caused any drama.

I didn't argue or complain since going in humble usually serves the learning process... Anyways my thoughts and opinion... Obviously open to better thoughts and arguments. Perhaps my logic is incorrect.
UGH! I feel for you! Yes, it's a difficult situation. You do have the right to request a new instructor if you feel you're not being helped (or hindered in this case I feel). It sounds like it would be excruciating. I know you and that stinks!

One thing that really jumped out at me is that your instructor touched your steering wheel. This should NEVER happen unless there is a chance that you're going to crash. You really need to let the person who is in charge of the event and instructors know that he/she was doing this. They should never touch your steering wheel under normal conditions.
Last year at NJMP a first timer gave someone a point by to the right, which was the correct side (the guy behind him was a first timer too, but driving a new 2011 GT3RS) so the guy behind went to the right and began the pass. The instructor of the car being passed said "no, no" and grabbed steering wheel, jerked it to the right and essentially cut off the passing car! The passing car had to hit the brakes and swerve out of the way, which put him off. So now you have a $150,000 lawnmower because the moron instructor grabbed the steering wheel when he shouldn't have! I spoke to both drivers afterwards and told the guy that gave the point by that he need to tell Geoff Ehrman (event organizer) what happened and the instructor shouldn't be instructing.

I'll try to see if you can get my instructor that I've had the last two years at Lightning in August. He's AWESOME!!!
Appreciate 0