View Single Post
      06-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #47
itsmeek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
You have to understand that tuning a vehicle without relying on the knock sensor (which 99% of other platforms NEED to do) will require a conservative approach, especially on something like a Subaru/mitsubishi/mazda/honda.

For instance, when I tuned my last car myself, I didn't have a sophisticated DME to back me up, if my car knocked, it did not reduce ignition. So if I asked for 20 degrees ignition up top, it gave it to me.

A conservative approach might not make exactly the same power, but you will know day in and day out it will be consistent and through different weather changes and even elevations should be acceptable/safe/reliable.

One could easily tune to be on the verge of knock but with a ECU that doesnt adapt like this BMW platform if the conditions arent the same as the day you tuned, you will be calling a tow truck to go home.
Thanks sir, I understand tuning as well (been tuning since my first 1989 talon). As I mentioned previously and to quote you, the key here is "ECU that doesnt adapt like this BMW platform".

We are talking about the BMW platform, right? The ECU adapts, it works very well and the tuner (BMS) has taken this into account. Not sure how it's relevant to the BMW and why they are being trashed because they used a more efficient approach to tuning.

They worked with the platform they were given. I haven't heard any nightmares about their approach, their prices are lower and their numbers are consistently higher than the other tuners. Not sure at this point what the advantage is to buying any other system if your car is lightly modded.
2010 Prius
Appreciate 0