10-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #23
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
The Registration Document has printed on it that when you sell the car you are responsible for sending the V5 back and that you should receive an acknowledgement letter back within 4 weeks to say you are no longer liable for the vehicle.

In BOLD type it also says "If you do not get an acknowledgement letter from us phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6802, as you could be liable for the vehicle and may get a penalty and/or be prosecuted."

So the OP is theoretically at fault because he did not tell the DVLA that he had not received the acknowledgement letter.

I didn't know this and almost came unstuck myself a little while ago. It seems a little unfair since you send the paperwork back with this informaiton on it when you return the V5 to the DVLA.
I take your point but when you are working 7 days a week to earn money to pay the government extortionate tax and business rates you sometimes forget that you also have to do the dvla's job as well! lets face it if you send the reg doc off and they say they haven't had it, it means they have either lost it (or made paper planes out of it as has been suggested) or the royal mail has lost it, either way its not down to me.
Appreciate 0